Around the IP Blogs

The IPKat is always paying attention to what IP stories are running around out there. The leaves are falling, the colours are changing, and we bring our latest catches from the blogs to you!


According to Professor Barton Beebe of NYU School of Law, more than 77% of the 20,000 most common English words identically match a EUTM registration, and the remaining 23% of words have negative connotations. Is Europe running out of trade marks? James Nurton posted on IPWatchdog about this question.

Global trademark and design applications boom in 2020! The World Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) annual WIPI report collects statistics as new indicators to inform the IP community, and The Fashion Law wrote an article about it.

Vans and Walmart have something to fight about when it comes to shoes. A new chapter in this legal battle has been examined in depth by Fashion Law.

Walmart (again) and Kanye West are reaching an agreement. The supermarket titan and the rapper are showing negotiating skills at their finest.

The International Trademark Association (INTA) held its 2021 Annual Meeting Virtual+ in a hybrid format consisting of five days of sessions (November, 15-19) in New York, Berlin and Los Angeles.

Members of the MARQUES International Trade Mark Law and Practice team took part in a working group on the legal development of the Madrid System for the international registration of trade marks.


"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men" said Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction. Miramax seems to be doing the same thing in its lawsuit against Tarantino for allegedly infringing on its copyrights to the film and the NFTs involved.

The EUIPO, through its Observatory, has published a new discussion paper presenting best practices for electronic payment service providers to prevent their services from being abused by infringers. WTR has written an article about it!

As part of the 21 for 2021 project, CREATe posted about the empirical evidence on copyright exceptions, from the oldest study on the topic to future research directions.

Four Creative Commons Copyright Platform working groups will be held on the following topics: (1) artificial intelligence and open content; (2) platform liability; (3) copyright exceptions and limitations; and (4) the ethics of open sharing.

Jan Bernd Nordemann, via the Kluwer Copyright Blog, offers an interesting annual review of the copyright case-law of the German Bundesgerichtshof. The annual review covers topics such as the definition of a work, authorship and moral rights. The review is published in 4 different parts!


Nokia announced that it has reached 4,000 patent families declared essential for 5G standards.

Florian Mueller on Foss Patents provides commentary on the Epic Games v. Apple injunction, dated 16 November 2021.

Daniela Ampollini commented on the preliminary injunction issued by the Court of Milan based on one of Novartis' patents protecting the second and other medical uses of everolimus.

Dennis Crouch shared a new whitepaper on Patents, Knowhow, and Vaccine Diplomacy via Patentlyo.

Thomas Cotter and the risk of judicial error, in the comment of case Optis v. Apple, Nokia v. OPPO (via Comparative Patent Remedies).

Around the IP Blogs Around the IP Blogs Reviewed by Giorgio Luceri on Sunday, November 21, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

All comments must be moderated by a member of the IPKat team before they appear on the blog. Comments will not be allowed if the contravene the IPKat policy that readers' comments should not be obscene or defamatory; they should not consist of ad hominem attacks on members of the blog team or other comment-posters and they should make a constructive contribution to the discussion of the post on which they purport to comment.

It is also the IPKat policy that comments should not be made completely anonymously, and users should use a consistent name or pseudonym (which should not itself be defamatory or obscene, or that of another real person), either in the "identity" field, or at the beginning of the comment. Current practice is to, however, allow a limited number of comments that contravene this policy, provided that the comment has a high degree of relevance and the comment chain does not become too difficult to follow.

Learn more here:

Powered by Blogger.