For the half-year to 30 June 2014, the IPKat's regular team is supplemented by contributions from guest bloggers Alberto Bellan, Darren Meale and Nadia Zegze.

Two of our regular Kats are currently on blogging sabbaticals. They are David Brophy and Catherine Lee.

Sunday, 7 August 2005

ZOUK NETS CRIMINAL TRADE MARK INFRINGERS


The Inquirer reports that a (now separated) husband and wife have been convicted of criminal trade mark infringement. They were found in possession of counterfeit music CDs, video games and films that, if they were genuine, would retail for £28,000 and were found to have falsely claimed benefits. They were caught after a joint operation by Sefton Metropolitan Borough Council Trading Standards officers; local Police and an ELSPA (Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association) investigator. The raid was part of Operation Zouk, overseen by the Department of Work and Pensions, which was targeted at those who claim benefits whilst illegally supplementing their income by selling counterfeit DVDs and CDs.

The IPKat would dearly love to get his paws on any more information about this decision, but he finds it very difficult to find out about criminal IP cases – can any of his readers help him? One thing that very much puzzles him is that the article suggests that the use of the trade marks on the counterfeit CDs constituted criminal trade mark infringement, but didn’t the House of Lords in the similar circumstances of R v Johnstone say that the use of artists’ names does not constitute criminal trade mark infringement?

IPKat trivia for the day: “zouk” is a rhythmic music style originating from Guadeloupe and Martinique.

18 comments:

Guy said...

The Computer Desk at the site:

http://www.thecomputerdesk.co.uk/articles/8_4/piracy-convictions.sht

Has an extended report on the couple who allegedly sold £28,000 worth of trade mark infringing goods.

Last month the South London Press reported that Blackfriars Trading Standards has obtained an ASBO on a street trader to prefevent trade mark infringement during daytime trading hours!

Anonymous said...

“We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results.”
- Herman Melville

RSS is the way of the Future...
rss golf

Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

George said...

business performance management softwareBuild Your Profit Making Customer List Automaticallybusiness performance management software

Dominicans resources said...

::FREE BLOGS AND FREE WORDPRESS BLOG HOSTING - CREATE UNLIMITED BLOGS NOW ALL FREE ::

Free blogging tory hosting speicalist

Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a advertising online uk site/blog. It pretty much covers advertising online uk related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Work From Home said...

Thanks for the information. I'm always
on the look out for people's opinions. I
run a website about free video hosting
so being informed is important to me.
If you ever want to check out my site
about free video hosting feel free
everyones welcome.

WDM Info Services said...

I like your blog, I found it looking for supreme court blog. Could you add it to my favourite blog directory please. It has lots of blogs relating to supreme court blog

Anonymous said...

Great blog! If anyone is interested in websites for sale feel free to come by my site and check it out. Thanks again!

WDM Info Services said...

I like your blog, I found it looking for conservative blog. Could you add it to my favourite blog directory please. It has lots of blogs relating to conservative blog

Anonymous said...

I discuss this topic daily myself. I also have a website that talks about based business home home make money online opportunity work related things. Go check it out if you get a chance.

betterlovemaking said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about business web hosting in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about business web hosting.
Thank you
TWP Admin

Anonymous said...

For the best in rio music manager software visit online stores for DVD Software Players that offer quality audio playback on the PC.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a web site hosting directory site/blog. It pretty much covers web site hosting directory related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Music Downloads Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about music so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

Brian said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a franchise payplan program safelist site/blog. It pretty much covers franchise payplan program safelist related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Create any type of website with the ease of use of a simple word processor!scheduling softwarescheduling software

mwcart said...

Hey, I saw your blog and thought it was great. I thought you might want to look at some great Internet Home Business
. There's a lot of buzz about the new Internet Home Business
and maybe some of your readers will want to know. Best wishes to you.

Subscribe to the IPKat's posts by email here

Just pop your email address into the box and click 'Subscribe':