It's those repackagers again...

Yet another installment in Boehringer Ingelheim v Swingward and friends (and it's not the last one either). The Court of Appeal's judgment in February adjourned the case, pending the outcome of an Austrian reference to the ECJ concerning repackaging. The parties were left at liberty to apply for an order for costs to date and now they have done so.

The Court of Appeal made the order. Jacob LJ, delivering the leading judgment of the court, said:
"Unfortunately the result of the Austrian reference is still some way off. It is too far away for it to be right for us simply to await that result. We think it right to make a ruling now, but one that allows for the possibility (which we think unlikely) that the reference would make a difference to the result".

Just to add to the difficulties, Dowelhurst has gone into administration, so the Court had to work on the assumption that any costs paid to it would not be returned, even if the Austrian reference meant that a different apportionment was appropriate. Thus Dowelhurst was granted 80% of its costs, with the other 20% payable if the Austrian reference makes no difference to the judgment.
The IPKat says that there's a bigger problem here. On controversial subjects, there's often an ECJ reference waiting around the corner and there's a limbo period where it's known that the judgment is coming, but often it's a very long time off. Part of doing justice is doing it efficiently and with due speed, yet there is the real risk that the law will 'change' in the light of a pending reference. What are the courts to do in this situation? Proceeding isn't satisfactory, but neither is waiting.
It's those repackagers again... It's those repackagers again... Reviewed by Anonymous on Friday, August 01, 2008 Rating: 5

No comments:

All comments must be moderated by a member of the IPKat team before they appear on the blog. Comments will not be allowed if the contravene the IPKat policy that readers' comments should not be obscene or defamatory; they should not consist of ad hominem attacks on members of the blog team or other comment-posters and they should make a constructive contribution to the discussion of the post on which they purport to comment.

It is also the IPKat policy that comments should not be made completely anonymously, and users should use a consistent name or pseudonym (which should not itself be defamatory or obscene, or that of another real person), either in the "identity" field, or at the beginning of the comment. Current practice is to, however, allow a limited number of comments that contravene this policy, provided that the comment has a high degree of relevance and the comment chain does not become too difficult to follow.

Learn more here:

Powered by Blogger.