asks if trade mark assignments have to be contracts. Ben Challis provides yet another thumpingly entertaining CopyKat round-up on the 1709 Blog. Afro-IP new recruit Jeremy Speres offers a somewhat depressing piece about the route to getting decent damages for trade mark infringement in South Africa. For those whose love of patents is only matched by their enthusiasm for Latin, PatLit offers a note on a European Patent Office Board of Appeal ruling back in 2012 that has been recently unearthed by PLC and deals with a topic we're all talking about -- reformatio in peius. Finally, on Class 46, our former Kat colleague Mark Schweizer gives a helpful insight into a recent Swiss decision on genuine use of a trade mark for consumer goods in the Koala's March case.
Alliance for Intellectual Property launched its manifesto, The UK in 2020: A vision for growth in IP-rich businesses, and called on all of the UK's main political parties to ensure that, by 2020, the UK is the best place to start, locate and grow intellectually property (IP) rich businesses. The full document can be viewed on the Alliance's website here. In short, and for the convenience of busy readers, the manifesto calls on whichever political party(ies) form the next Government to
- create an intellectual property enforcement framework for the digital ageThe Alliance explains that, inn arriving at these recommendations, it asked individual creators, small start-ups and multinational companies how they thought IP could be better promoted and protected. The survey found that for 98% of respondents IP was central to their growth to their growth [Merpel's most concerned about the other 2% ...] and saw a stable legal framework as important to securing investment and business planning. However, many (48%) expressed concern that the Government had not been sufficiently supportive, did not recognise the contribution that they made, and was hampering efforts to make the UK an attractive location to base a business which relies on IP.
- monitor the value of IP businesses to the UK economy
- ensure IP is properly recognised by the investment community
- provide a detailed economic and social case when proposing changes to the IP framework
- promote UK businesses by defending them against moves to weaken IP laws at an international level
IIPI) has announced the appointment of two seasoned IP experts to spearhead its activities. They are Andrew Hirsch, who worked closely with Bruce Lehman at the US Department of Commerce and who has now been named IIPI's Executive Director, and Richard Litman, who is now its General Counsel. According to the IIPI, "Both will focus on IIPI’s quest to help academic, industry and government leaders to adopt the best international IP practices and models for innovation based economic and societal development". The IPKat wishes them both the best of luck. Merpel wants to know why this grandly-named institution seems to have so small a footprint in Europe: is she missing something?