The EU has issued a press release congratulating itself on a significant increase in customs activity at the EU's external borders in relation to IPR infringement.
- Over 49 000 customs detentions were registered in 2008, compared to 43,000 in 2007
- 80% of the customs interventions were the result of requests from industry
- There was a sharp increase in 2008 in the actual number of IPR infringing goods detained by customs – 178 million compared to 79 million in 2007
- There was a 2600% increase in the number of DVDs detained
- China was the main source of infringing goods, but other countries were hotspots for particular goods (e.g. India for medicines)